Thursday, March 8, 2012

COMPLAINT: SWITCHES/FLOORS

We love our new home.  Almost everyday we discuss on how we are going to put our personal touch on it.  However, there are 2 major items that we are very frustrated about. 

#1 being the light switch issue, which I just read The Ravenna Rant's blog (http://ravennarant.blogspot.com/2012/02/light-switches.html), which pretty much addressed this issue.  We have an electrician in the family that will hopefully be able to help us out to fix some of our frustrations with this.  However, we don't want him to touch anything until after our 10 month inspection.  We don't want to give RH any reason to indicate we voided a warranty by changing things around.

#2 Every room (and I mean it, every room) in the house has a squeak in the floor and it is getting worse.  At the 30 day post-settlement inspection, we brought it to the PMs attention, who informed us that this is normal due to the settlement of the house.  RH fixed a few of the squeaks at the 30 day post-settlement inspection, but the squeaks came right back.  The PM indicated that we should let the house settle before we have RH fix any more squeaks. 

We held off on installing the hardwood floors on the main level until after we moved in, but we don't want to install them until we know the problem is fixed. 

It is so bad that I can hear my cats (one is 6 lbs and one is 12 lbs) walking around at night. We just moved from a 108 year old house, that I expected the floors to squeak, but that house had less squeaks than the new house. 

Is this happening to others?  Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Shara said...

We had one spot right outside our master bedroom that squeaked horribly and they just fixed it today as part of our final inspection. It's not an easy process - they pulled up the carpet and then there was lots of noise with a sander and a mallet but it is fixed now. Definitely frustrating but at least it is fixable. I don't know who came up with the wiring diagram for the waverly floorplan but some of the switch placements are insane, so I feel your pain there!

Ravenna Ranter said...

Hey HW!!! So glad to see your post, then so sad to see that you were having problems. When you fix your electrical issues, I'll be interested to know what you added and moved around.

As for squeaks, we've got a few but they really aren't bad. I have a 20 pound cat, and while he sounds like a herd of elephants when he runs down the hardwood steps, the floors don't groan when he walks on them. We have a couple bad squeaks, and several that BF can make that I can only duplicate if I jump up and down exactly on the spot.

Perhaps the earthquake that happened right before we moved in helped the house settle more quickly??

Tammigirl said...

We have a squeak or two, but nothing as serious as what you have.