We are still a few weeks away from breaking ground and we received some advice from a friend who recently built a house (not with Ryan Homes) and that builder used flat paint on the walls. It has only been a year and they are currently in the process of getting quotes to repaint their walls. Our RH rep. confirmed that flat paint is the standard paint used on the walls and semi-gloss on the trim.
Also, the same friend informed us that their builder used 4 screws and the rest were nails to attach the drywall. Now they are dealing with nails popping. Our friend suggests that we request that RH use all screws.
Just curious on other bloggers thoughts and advice.
7 comments:
I don't think we have a choice in the matter. =( Ryan homes aren't "custom" builders. But you could always ask.
Ryan does use a flat white paint as their standard - it flakes off if you brush against it. In our area they offer 4 or 5 very basic neutrals as paint upgrades...and the whole house has to be the same color. I know a lot of people feel that it is a waste of money since you'll want your own colors there eventually. However, I chose to do the paint upgrade so the walls will be better protected and easier to clean (2 dogs and a toddler can make lots of messes). This way I think it will be easier to wait until after the drywall and nail pops are repaired at the 10 month mark and give me more time to make decisions on custom paint colors. Also they will touch up one of their paint colors, but if you custom paint then you will be left with lots of touch ups after that 10 month repair visit. As far as the nail pops, it's just part of the house settling and they do come in and fix them between 10 months and a year.
I don't know the details, but I've seen others bring up nail pops. However, Ryan is aware of them and fixes them. Is that not the case with your friends, meaning that the builder doesn't come back after closing to address issues?
I think one of the reasons why flat paint is used is because Ryan is production. They know most owners will paint or will hire someone to paint the house for them.
Ryan Homes will touch up all nail pops at the 10 month point. We got a tan flat paint, which is what they use on all the homes in our development. Don't like the flat paint, but I like that it is tan so I don't feel like we have to paint right away.
Like others said, I don't think they will use screws, although we never asked. We're just dealing with the nail pops and the flat white paint until our 10 month. Honestly, the white walls aren't bothering me...yet.
Pretty sure they wouldn't use screws...that would slow them down dramatically. While the nail pops aren't pleasant, they are better then cracks. The house has to settle and things need to give with the house settling...not sure what would happen if you had screws everywhere.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We plan to discuss both topics with our RH rep. on Saturday.
Post a Comment